We have made the decision to cancel church services today due to the icy road conditions. Please stay safe and warm, and we will see you next Sunday!
Although the joy of Christmas and the anticipation of the New Year have hardly faded it is time to start thinking about Lent and Easter. This year we are adding in new traditions and rekindling some historic events. I hope you will join us as we celebrate the fullness of life, from the joy of Fat Tuesday, through the shadows of Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and finally to the rejoicing of Easter morning. This is a robust and meaningful season in the life of the church with many opportunities for worship and service. Here are several dates to keep in mind:
- February 9th, 6pm – “Fat Tuesday” Pancake Supper
- February 10th, 7pm – Ash Wednesday service
- February 12th, 8am-3pm – Bread of Life Food Distribution
- February 19th, Noon-1pm – Lenten Luncheon
- March 4th, Noon-1pm – Lenten Luncheon
- March 11th, 8am-3pm – Bread of Life Food Distribution
- March 18th, Noon-1pm – Lenten Luncheon
- March 20th, 10:30am – Palm Sunday service
- March 24rd, 7pm – Maundy Thursday service
- March 25th, 7pm – Good Friday service
- March 25th-27th – Easter Prayer Vigil
- March 27th, 7am – Easter “Sunrise” Service
- March 27th, 8am – Easter Breakfast
- March 27th, 10:30am – Easter Sunday service
We will be attempting to stream the sermon live on Periscope (periscope.tv or the app on your android or apple device) this morning. The username is @revalexruth. If everything goes as planned the video should be available on demand for 24 hours.
Our journey through The Story begins on August 16, so now is the time to let us know what resources your family would like to have, there are books for all ages, and a participants guide for the adult Sunday school/small group studies.
A suggested donation is listed to the side.
Please note that The Story consists of selected readings from the Bible, and we will be publishing a reading guide as well, so these items are entirely optional. Samples are also available for you in the church office.
Please email and indicate how many of each item you would like.
The Story for Little Ones (picturebook) – $18
The Story for Children (storybook) – $20
The Story for Kids – $10
The Story: Teen Edition – $15
The Story – $20
The Story, Adult Participant’s Guide – $11
August 1, 2015
Will you join us as we travel to Outback Rock? You’ll have lots of fun with games and exciting projects. You’ll enjoy songs, games, crafts, and food! Please come with us, and invite your friends! We will have a Preschool Crew and an Elementary Crew, and some teen and pre-teen helpers.
If your child(ren) are planning on being a part of Outback Rock, please email us with their name(s), and which group (Pre-K, Elementary, or Helper) they will be a part of. Also, if you are able to stay around and help we’d appreciate it! Please let us know that in the e-mail as well!
Here are a few links and suggestions for the 24-Hour Prayer Vigil coming up next weekend. If you have a resource you;d like to share, please leave a comment, or send us an e-mail. Scroll down for the links, they are at the bottom of the page.
- Pray for individuals in our church by name.
- Pray for someone you haven’t seen in while.
- Pray for the poor and forgotten of our community and the world. That this Easter, they would find hope for a better future.
- Pray by listening. Take a few slow, deep breaths. Try to clear your mind of all thoughts about what you have planned for latter, or things that have happened. Pay close attention to your breathing, noticing the air enter and leave your lungs. Rest in your breathing and listen for God’s voice to speak to your soul.
- Pray for our community, that we might see a blossoming of faith in and commitment to God.
- Pray for all people who will visit churches on Easter, that they might find a renewed relationship with the God Who Is.
- Pray for pastors who are busy preparing to preach and present the Gospel on Easter, that God will comfort them, provide strength and wisdom, and help them discern the words to say.
- Pray for someone you love deeply. And pray for someone who has hurt you, that they will realize the wrong and that you will find forgiveness.
- Pray for your neighbors. Those you know and those you don’t.
- Pray for our Area Minister, Mike Weinman; our Regional Ministry Team; and our General Minister and President, Sharon Watkins.
- Pray while you move. Instead of sitting or kneeling, try praying while you walk around. Notice all the details of your surroundings and give thanks for the signs of spring.
- Pray by writing.
- Pray through scripture, open the Bible to a favorite passage, or open at random, read and let God speak to you.
Links to prayer resources:
The various programs and projects of the general ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) supported by our Easter offering provide us with the ability to serve from our doorsteps to the ends of the earth.
National Benevolent Association partners with service providers and local congregations in connecting food and hunger related ministries.
The Division of Overseas Ministries through partners on various projects such as the Ikengo Agricultural Center in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Loving People Wells project in Anhui Province, China.
Disciples Volunteering through the Division of Homeland Ministries, sponsors long-term rebuilding projects along the Gulf Coast, the East Coast and Joplin, Missouri.
The Council on Christian Unity promotes dialogue and collaboration within the US, Canada and around the world between Christians, long divided over differences of theological interpretation while also fostering understanding between Christians and peoples of other faiths.
Higher Education and Leadership Ministries identifies young leaders and helps them develop the skills they’ll need to transform the church and accomplish its mission of reconciliation in the world.
Hope Partnership supports establishment of new congregations and the transformation of existing congregations while Disciples Extension Fund helps them find the financial resources they will need in their ministry.
The Central Pastoral Office for Hispanic Ministries provides collegial support to Disciples Hispanic congregations. North American Pacific Asian Disciples, which on any given Sunday supports Disciples congregations in the US and Canada worshipping in 18 different languages. National Convocation promotes the spiritual life and outreach mission of African-American Disciples, while working with the whole church to root out the sin of racism and promote social justice.
The Office of General Minister and President’s mission is to lead, serve, inspire, nurture and facilitate the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) as one church in many expressions.
Disciples of Christ Historical Society preserves the memory of those in the past who through their faith and works, have brought us to this moment today.
Let us give generously as we collect our Easter Special Offering on March 29th and April 5th. As we do so, we partner with those who serve on our behalf, witnessing and loving from our doorsteps to the ends of the earth.
One of the busiest times of the church year is just around the corner. I hope that you will take advantage of some of the many great opportunities for worship, prayer and fellowship!
Palm Sunday – Sunday school at 9:30 and worship at 10:30 as we enter into Holy Week and remember the final days of Jesus’ life.
Maundy Thursday – 7pm at the United Methodist Church, Pastor Alex will preach and we will celebrate communion around tables!
Good Friday – There will not be a community-wide Good Friday service this year. Therefore, we have invited everyone to join us for a simple, and reflective, worship service at Marshfield Christian Church on Good Friday. Join us for this time of reflection and remembrance of Jesus’ sacrifice on our behalf. Service begins at 7pm.
24-Hour Prayer Vigil – This year our 24-Hour prayer vigil starts at 6am on Saturday with 30-minute time slots until 6am on Sunday morning. Prayer resources will be available on the church website, and at the church building beginning on Palm Sunday
Sunrise Service – Join us for worship around the new fire pit (weather permitting) at 7am as we celebrate our Risen Lord and Savior. If the weather doesn’t cooperate we will worship in the sanctuary. No matter where we are, we will pray, sing, celebrate communion and hear again the story of the resurrection.
Easter Breakfast – From 8 to 9:30am we will have a selection of breakfast casseroles and beverages in the fellowship hall. Donations will be accepted for the youth and children’s ministries at the church.
Sunday School – We will have Sunday school for adults and children at 9:30 as we learn about God’s gift of salvation through the story of Jesus’ death and resurrection.
Easter Service – During our 10:30am worship service on Easter morning we will be challenged to carry the story of Jesus with us wherever we go.
Come, let us celebrate together this Easter!
Anyone wishing to donate a lily in honor or in memory of someone may purchase a lily and bring it to the church on Friday, April 3, so that we may be able to get the lilies placed and ready before the Sunrise Service on Easter Sunday. If it is not possible to bring the lily to the church on that date, notify Sally, Angela, or the church office, and arrangements will be made to include it with the others on Sunday.
Other than a lily, another option is to make a donation to the Webster County Food Pantry. Make checks payable to the Marshfield Christian Church and in the memo line indicate if it is in memory or honor of someone. The Church Treasurer will then be able to send one check to the Food Pantry.
The names of those honored or memorialized by donation of a lily and/or donation to the Food Pantry will be included in the Easter bulletin April 5. Be sure to give all pertinent information to Jennifer before Tuesday, March 31. A sign-up sheet has also been placed in the foyer for your convenience.
You may take home the lily you purchased following Easter Worship or any time after April 5.
Due to the weather and road conditions, all activities at Marshfield Christian Church have been cancelled for March 1, 2015. Please stay warm and safe. We hope to see you next Sunday.